NOTE: Patch blogs are opinion pieces by local writers. Click here to blog on Patch.
As most Dixon residents know Measure N (open government measure) is threatening the forward movement and development of the Proposed Morning View Studio’s. Carissa Carpenter (CEO of Morning View) has clearly stated without amendment that if Measure N were to pass the Studio project would not progress and they would find another community to build in.
Many of the proponents of Measure N have pumped out a smoke screen of information in hopes of confusing voters into voting yes on the Measure.
Below I have listed for you some of the gains that we could see if the studio is built.
- 1000+ temporary construction jobs.
- 1000+ high paying jobs in the first 6-12 months of operation.
- 2000+ indirect jobs in the local communities tied to providing services and supplies.
- Average budget of a current film is 64 million dollars of which much would be spent locally.
- Average budget for movie made for television is 4-7 million dollars, large portion spent at the studio and in the community.
- Multiple films can be shot at the studios simultaneously.
- Local real estate values will climb.
- Local tax revenue will increase.
- Local business will see an increase in revenue.
- New business will need to be established to feed, entertain, supply, house etc the talent and production staff.
- Philanthropy may also be involved between the studio and worthwhile community projects and organizations.
Consider all of the above gains against the poorly written Measure N. It seems to me that we ought to Vote No on Measure N, give the studio it’s chance
to build and then within the next two years author a better Open Government measure.
I encourage all to vote and I hope the majority of you see this Measure in the same light that I do.