By Solano Office of Education
The Solano County Office of Education is delighted to announce that 13 school employees have been nominated for the 2012-2013 Solano County Educators of the Year award.
A reception honoring the Educators of the Year nominees will be held at the Joseph A. Nelson Community Center in Suisun City on Wednesday, May 2, starting at 5:15 p.m.
One certificated (teacher) and one classified (school support) award recipient will be selected, and their names forwarded to the California Department of Education to represent Solano County in a statewide Educators of the Year competition.
“The purpose of the Educators of the Year program is to pay tribute to the tireless efforts of our outstanding local teachers and school staff,” said Jay Speck, Solano County Superintendent of Schools. “These nominees are being recognized for their significant contributions to student learning and school operations.”
Solano County Educators of the Year nominees are:
- Sandra Alarcon-Soto, 5/6 Grade Teacher, Cambridge Elementary School, Travis Unified School District
- Anna Alcantara, Special Education Paraeducator, Sullivan Middle School, Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
- Ken Anderson, Head Custodian, Wardlaw Elementary School, Vallejo City Unified School District
- Jill Breshears, Special Education Teacher, Irene Larsen Center, Solano County Office of Education
- Terri Bush, Paraeducator, Golden Hills Community School, Solano County Office of Education
- Ruth Ann Caitham, Kindergarten Teacher, Wardlaw Elementary School, Vallejo City Unified School District
- Michelle Daugherty, Art Teacher, Fairfield High School, Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
- Ana Lopez-Hanafee, Kindergarten Teacher, Anderson Elementary School, Dixon Unified School District
- Norma Holtmeyer, Account Clerk and Secretary to the Athletic Director, Dixon High School, Dixon Unified School District
- Sandy Loustaunau, School Secretary, Vacaville High School, Vacaville Unified School District
- Christine Mani, Dance & Drama Teacher, Benicia High School, Benicia Unified School District
- Chuck Schauer, Campus Operations Team Leader, Benicia High School, Benicia Unified School District
- John Stanley, 7/8 Grade Teacher, Vaca Pena Middle School, Vacaville Unified School District
Congressman George Miller will give a charitable donation of $1,000 from the George Miller Youth Fund to the certificated awardee to use for classroom materials and supplies and $1,000 to the classified awardee to use for school site materials.
Video segments of all 2012-13 Educators of the Year nominees will be posted on the Solano County Office of Education’s Web site at www.solanocoe.net following the event.