Morning View LLC, the comapny looking to buy land in Dixon for the development of a massive movie studio, wrote the following open letter Tuesday touting in influx of jobs, tax revenue and and plenty more for the city of Dixon.
Read it in full below, and share your thoughts in the comments. Please also consider writing a blog in reponse to the letter. (Posting is very simple).
Here's the full letter:
Our company would like to be a new resident in your community. We are excited about the idea of being here and are in discussion to purchase approximately 800 acres in Dixon and making it the home for our company. We make motion pictures and television programs with leaders in that industry. We have a policy to be open with the community so you know more about your potential neighbor. Here is a brief profile about us and what you can count on us to bring to Dixon:
• 1000+ high income jobs in the first 6-12 months of operations.
• 2000+ indirect jobs among businesses in the Dixon community that can serve our movie studio with needed services and supplies.
• Low cost electricity from our green studio’s solar farm that we will sell to the City of Dixon under a “Long Term Agreement,” to create a significant savings for waste water treatment and water pumping wells that currently are a large percentage of the City’s total budget.
• Training and intern programs for local residents in skills such as audio/visual, graphic art, computer animation and other technologies needed to secure full and part-time jobs in our studio, as well as the industry in general.
• Positive impact on the traffic count compared to the 1,400 homes and its related inhabitants originally proposed for the property where we propose to build.
• Immediate positive impact on local property tax revenues.
• Positive potential impact on Dixon property values in general.
• Compliance with Dixon’s “General Plan” that requires that all new developments pay their own way.
• Diversifying the tax base and creating a positive financial impact on local services.
• Lower the density of development for the acres to be occupied than the earlier proposed residential use.
• Be an environmentally, socially and financially responsible neighbor.
• Be a ‘good neighbor’ by inviting citizens of Dixon once the purchase of the property has been finalized to participate in a series of public forums where we will ask for input for improving our plans to best fit the community. We want to be here a long time and want our neighbors overall to be comfortable that we are.
What we will NOT do to the City of Dixon:
• We will not ask the City to pay for any of the costs related to this project, including but not limited to redevelopment, rezoning, and/or infrastructure improvement. We will pay our own way.
Morning View Studios, LLC, hopes this information is useful to you, the people of Dixon. The entire Morning View leadership team looks forward to the opportunity to be in Dixon and having a long and successful future in your community. In the coming weeks we will have a public meeting open to all to share with you our progress.
Carissa Carpenter and the leadership team of Morning View, LLC
If you'd like to write a blog in reponse to the letter, click here. If not, comment below. Bil Paul already weighed in on the situation, asking some pretty tough questions .