This week’s Family Best Bets chosen by our Patch staff include folk music in Davis or classical music in Sacramento; a museum that offers free admission and plenty of activities; and a dog agility competition at the Dixon May Fair. The important thing to remember: Have a great time with your family!
1. Folk Music Jam Session – UC Davis Arboretum, noon to 1 p.m. at Wyatt Deck, located on old Davis Road next to the Redwood Grove in the UC Davis Arboretum. Musicians are invited to join in and listeners are welcome, too. Parking is $6 in Visitors Lot 5 at Old Davis Road and A Street.
2. Annual Dog and AKC Dog Agility Trials at Dixon May Fairgrounds Saturday and Sunday, March 19-20, sponsored by the Vallejo Dog Training Club. Come see the fastest dogs around! Go to www.vallejodgotraining.org for more information.
3. Dixon May Fair is seeking entries. Now is the time to be thinking about what your family members might want to enter into the Dixon May Fair as the deadline for entries is coming soon—April 8. There are lots of different categories for all ages from art to photos, from sewing to ironworks, and science exhibits to cookie contests. Go to dixonmayfair.com and scroll to guidebook to see the various divisions.
4. Free Family Concert at the Sacramento Public Library. On Sunday, March 20, at 2 p.m., the Camellia Symphony Orchestra will present a free concert designed to introduce children and their families to the world of classical music. The concert will take place in the Tsakopoulos Library Galleria, at the Central Library, 828 I Street, Sacramento. But wait, it gets better! Prior to the concert, youngsters can enjoy the Instrument Petting Zoo at 1 p.m. in the Central Library’s West Meeting Room. Children will see various musical instruments and meet musicians who will demonstrate how the instruments are played. There will also be a music craft activity from 1-2 p.m. For details, call the library at (916) 264-2920 or visit www.sac.library.org.
5. Vallejo Naval and Historical Museum will be free this Saturday as part of their ’Free Family Days’ on the third Saturday of each month. This museum explores the history of the City of Vallejo, the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard, and the U.S. Navy in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are open 10 a.m. -4:30 p.m. on Saturday and will have fun activities for children and adults, interesting speakers, programs, videos, or discounts in the museum book shop. It is located at 734 Marin Street in Vallejo. For more information, call (707) 643-0077 or visit www.vallejomuseum.org.